Browsing Through International Spam NewsA quick Google News search turned up these items of interest in the world of international spam.
Duo found guilty of international spam campaign
Interesting story on some men in the USA using computers in the Netherlands to send pornographic spam to folks in the United States. These guys made around 2 million dollars and according to the article, victimized hundred of thousands with their pornographic spam messages.
Now let’s think about this… how many of those email recipients actually had to receive legitimate email from the Netherlands? We’ll never really know but you can bet that the number was small. The simplest route to protection: filter email by country of origin. If you don’t need to receive email from the Netherlands then don’t accept email from the Netherlands.
Americans retain spam crown
According to this article, 45% of all spam arises within the United States. Not unusual, since the United States has been leading in spam origination since the first spam email was sent
Look at this 45% number from the other side… 55% of all spam in this study arises outside of the USA. So if your business dealings are exclusively in the Unites States then “Country-Of-Origin” email filtering instantly eliminates 55% of any spam before it ever reaches your spam filters and email servers.
Trying not to be too USA centric, if your business is located outside of the United States then just blocking any mail from the USA instantly eliminates 45% of all spam.
U.S. arrests "Spam King," spam goes up 8%
I really love this one from the Xinhua News Agency in China.
"On May 30, U.S. Department of Justice agents arrested a man they called the Spam King and he was arraigned in a Seattle courtroom on charges of mail fraud, fraud in connection with electronic mail, aggravated identity theft, and money laundering. The week after Richard Alan Soloway was incarcerated, the flow of spam rose 8 percent".
Maybe if they arrest a "Spam Prince" or "Spam Baron" the amount of spam will rise only 5% the following week. What about a "Duke of Spam"?